A new year, a new day... a few days late.

It's not a great sign of things to come when your New Year's Resolution is to blog every day of 2011 and you don't start until January 4th. In my defense, things have been all kinds of crazy lately in my neck of the woods, so y'all will have to just be patient with me for a bit.

Considering the fact that I've never been all that hot in keeping up with resolutions, I've opted this year to instead stick to making and (hopefully) achieving goals. As most good bloggers do, before I list my goals I must reflect on my past-- I'm all about the reflection.

Looking back, 2010 was a heck of a year...

My relationship with my family strengthened and proved that it will always be there, no matter what we may face or how far apart we may be.

My love for Brian deepened as we moved in together and realized that we really do complement each other, through tears and tiffs and smiles and celebrations.

I graduated from college student to working girl and settled in at a good fresh-out-of-college job.

My cooking skills flourished as I made supper every night for me and Brian, wading outside of my food comfort zones and trying so many new foods and recipes. The processed foods have slowly lessened in my diet (minus the occasional Cheetos and Godiva... a girl can only give up so much), and the fast food stops have drastically decreased (again, minus the occasional bean burrito. Oh Taco Bell, you sing the song in my heart...).

The world of repaying student loans fell upon me and I learned how to budget my money and walk the fine line between "I NEED that" and "I WANT that" (so not all that easy when you're getting your first real world checks straight into your bank account, but so worth it in the end). I've laughed a lot and I've cried a lot; I've made new friends and weeded through my old.

For the first time in my life, I ran completely on purpose, out of pure happiness and enjoyment, not force or due to being chased. I ran a lot. I ran and I liked it. I ran RACES and fell in love.

After indulging in one too many football dips and bowls of pasta, I joined Weight Watchers and lost right at 40 pounds (sidenote: I'm not flaunting the number but I'm darn proud of myself, so the amount lost stays). It's amazing what losing 40 pounds can do, other than get you fabulous new clothes. Silly aches and pains are gone (seriously, I'm only 25 with all of the moaning and groaning and creaking of an old lady), getting winded is no longer an issue, I cross my legs like the skinny girls. Being thinner may not be everything, but it sure does feel good.

As fabulous as 2010 was, I'm feeling really optimistic about the kind of year that 2011 may play out to be. There are lots of things kind of juggling around right now which I'll share as I know more, but I'll just say that it's looking like exciting things could be on the horizon for me/us.

And now for The Goals of 2011-- The Year of Me
  1. Continue staying focused on the new Weight Watchers Points+ program. Stay willing to be open to new foods, recipes, and advice until I reach my goal.
  2. Reach goal.
  3. Run the Zooma Half Marathon in Austin, TX on April 16, 2011. I'm running in Texas because there's no way I'd cross that first official half finish line without my family there to see me do it.
  4. Blog daily.
  5. Read at least one book each month.
  6. Go on a random weekend trip with Brian, just because.
  7. Plan a vacation for just me and Brian, not to see family or go with friends.
  8. Fly home to see my family more often, even if it's just for a weekend.
  9. Run as many smaller races as I can manage-- 5ks, 10ks, half marathons...
  10. Be a better friend. Whether it's mailing cards just to say hi or making sure to return phone calls, be a better friend.
  11. Work on researching my family ancestry. I'm all kinds of interested, and I think this would be such a neat project.

Well friends, there you have it. Since I'm vowing to blog once a day from here on out, you'll be able to keep track on my progress (or failures). I'm looking forward to seeing what this year has in store for me, my family, and my friends, and I'll be anxious to report back to y'all.
Keep me on my toes!

'Til later, my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment