Wet kitchen floor-1, Katie's knees-0

Do you ever have those days where you just feel all moody and irked and irritable? You pray, at the mercy of all those who surround you, for people to just hit the "easy" button today and not ask a million and one questions about things they should already know the answer to, such as why the copier is beeping (feed it paper, friends) or whether you mind doing X in addition to the fifty-two things you're trying to catch up on after being out of the office at the end of last week (yes, I DO in fact mind, but yes, I will of course still do it anyways).

Today, that is me.

There are zero sufficient reasons why I should feel all bothered, BUT even though I do and would rather just kind of mope and be annoyingly whine-tastic... I'm trying to shake the funk. Honest. Venting is a form of shaking the funk and, sadly enough for y'all, I vent via the blog. What made me want to change my ways and not carry on, all "woe is me"-like, as crummy as my day might seem... it's not all that bad. In fact, I'll translate for you...

And I'm done. I was feeling cheery and like my day was starting to look up and I was going to put a positive spin on everything... and then I fell. On my knees and down to my face. After being out of town and me making it my mission to empty the fridge before we left, I had the option of hunger or a SmartOnes frozen dinner for lunch. Off to the kitchen I went, with my empty 1.5 liter bottle in one hand and my dinner in the other. I nuked it, filled my water, and went to walk all confidently back to my desk and then BAM before I knew what was happening, I was face down on the kitchen floor. The kitchen floor at my office. The kitchen floor which is currently the lunching place of just about every guy in our lab (I love Brian to the moon and back but seriously-- nobody wants to wipeout in front of a bunch of guys). The first thing I saw were pasta rigatoni noodles at least four feet away from me, and my water, glug-glug-glugging on its side.

Sadly, the next thing that registered in my head, other than "Oh my freaking goodness, my knee! The pain! In my knee!" was "This is SO going on the blog."

That has GOT to say something about my sanity.

A member of my audience/a guy from the lab jumped up and got so many points-- he was on his knees wiping up saucy rigatoni noodles with me. Everyone kept asking if I was okay and, as I legit swallowed the lump in my throat, swore I was good. Minus my dignity, as I wiped melty cheese off of my black pants.

I was trying so hard to put a positive spin on today but the whole body meeting the floor of the kitchen thing just took it right out of me.

Actually, I take that back. Since my lunch is at the bottom of a trash can, I'm treating myself to a Bolocco burrito bowl.

Amen and happy Monday.

5 comments:

  1. It's Ok! That kind of stuff happens to everyone. It's better to get it over with on a Monday, and now you know the rest of the week will be smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura! I'm all about getting it over with early in the week, so thanks for the pick-me-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your week goes better! I have those kinds of days all the time! Ha! Corey is working in Boston all week. When he first told me he was going, I had the grand idea that I would go too! You know how I love Boston! :) I was going to contact you and see if we could maybe meet somewhere...it was going to be so fun! Then I realized the weather was not what it was the last time I went in August. :( So I opted out of going. It is 75-80 degrees here with a beautiful sun shine. Corey said it was raining, snowing, sleeting today where you guys are...I know you guys are looking forward to summer!
    Yes, it's 2:00am here! It is strange to me that I am up this late too! ;)
    Gretchan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchan, I'm so jealous of your good weather! My mom told me that over the weekend in Texas, temps got up to the low 90s, which is the last thing you want to hear when you're bundled up and fighting sleet and snow HALF WAY THROUGH MARCH. I've never been more ready for summer! The next time you head to Boston, absolutely let me know-- that would be too fun to meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MISSED A BOLOCCO BURRITO BOWL DAY?!!

    Oh and, um... hope your knees feel ok. Because your safety is paramount over burrito bowls.

    ReplyDelete