2012 - The Year of Me.

After lots of contemplation and consideration, I've decided that 2012 will be my year.

All too often I get to the point of New Years Eve when you sit around and reflect about what all you've accomplished in the past twelve months... and all too often I'm kind of unimpressed by what I've checked off on my list. My whole, general, main resolution for this year is to look back at 11:59 on December 31, 2012, and know that I've lived the best year of my life.

My amazing parents, little brother, my Brian and beautiful friends (and my Lucy dog) are the most important presence in my life, and I owe it to them to be the best person that I can be for them. I promise to listen more, to be more attentive, to make the extra effort to make a call or send a card when I know that they might need it. They love me unconditionally, and though I always do as well, it never hurts to show and express your love and appreciation for the people in your life, and they deserve to know just how important and priceless they are to me.

My body has been the focus of one too many new year resolutions. I vow to not each chocolate, get to the gym, cut out carbs... and then approximately around January 14th I can be found shoveling chocolate in a dark corner somewhere. It's not pretty and it's not all that fun to look back and realize that AN ENTIRE YEAR, 365 days, flew past without me taking the stand to make a "for good" change. This year I promise myself that I will continue to learn what it means to live a healthy lifestyle, not to be on a diet. To make the best choices to give my body fuel, not just food, and of course the occasional indulgences of queso and cheescake.

Along the lines of food, I'd like to continue to explore new recipes and challenge myself in the kitchen every now and then. I love food. I love shopping for it, prepping it to cook, gradually adding ingredients together and then serving the final product. Food is like my expression of love-- if I'm feeding you well, I love you more'n my luggage.

13.1 miles. This year I will conquer that distance. I will own it and wear it with pride. Or run it with pride. I've worked out a half marathon in Dallas at the end of March, and tomorrow starts my training for that. I'm excited, and I'm terrified. The thought of dedicating so much time to run so many miles makes my knees pre-ache. But I'm ready. Mentally, I'm there. Physically... I'm getting there. But I'm running for my dad and my MawMaw, and that serves as motivation enough. I hope to run this first one in March, get hooked, and run a few more before the end of the year. It would be amazing to be the kind of runner who just casually signs up for a half marathon BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE FUN. I will get there and be there with bells on.

So many blogs that I read talk about girls my age going to youth groups for adults through their churches... and I'd like to find something like that. Without going into it too much, my heart is missing church, and there's pretty much only one remedy for that-- make your way back down that sometimes-difficult path.

I rejoined Weight Watchers yesterday morning. I cannot lie-- I tracked both yesterday and today, New Years Eve splurges and all, but still... I'm back. And SO excited. My leader is my age and is so fun and easy to relate to, and that's been pretty rare for me in the past. I finally got back to the place I need to be mentally and oh, it feels so good.

Writing makes my heart happy, and I'd like to dedicate more time to that this year. Not blog writing, though I'd like to do that more consistently as well, but writing for myself. I have big dreams about writing (as do most English majors) and I have to start somewhere, right?

There are a hundred and one tiny little things I'd like to change this year, but for the most part, I want to be happy, healthy, productive and successful. I want my heart to feel full and I want to help others to have full hearts as well.

How about you? Any particular resolution that you'd like to dedicate time to in 2012? Have a favorite moment from 2011?

Happy New Year, y'all!

1 comment: