Wicked!!

I have always been a HUGE fan of the theater.  Musicals, plays, the ballet... if you put a ticket in my hand I can guarantee that I'll be in my seat, loving every second of the show.  I feel pretty lucky to have been able to see live a handful of the more popular shows in recent years, and they're fabulous memories across the board.


My very first show was 42nd Street.  





I was young, somewhere around middle school age, and I probably didn't appreciate the experience as much as I should have (it was ON BROADWAY, not a traveling show, which to me just makes a show LEGIT) .  My younger brother Clint and I went with an aunt, uncle and a cousin from Connecticut.  I remember thinking "That was a lot of singing and dancing," and "Is this ever going to end?," and "I'm tired."  Ah, the ignorance of youth.

Show #2 was also seen on a summer trip to Connecticut.  We went with the same aunt and cousin, as well as my aunt's sister.  I was a freshman in high school and completely convinced that I was going to move to New York when I graduated, go to NYU and become the Next Big Thing in publishing.  We saw Mamma Mia! at Winter Garden Theater on Broadway and it changed. my. life.  I was convinced that if Broadway theater made my heart as happy as it did, that I was destined to move to NYC and make it-- if I could make it there, I could make it ANYwhere (I know... I know).


I vividly remember the entire theater being out of their seats, dancing in the aisles and singing along with the show.  It was so, so much fun and I cried when it was over.  Not an ugly cry or anything, but there was definitely emotion, and if I had to pinpoint that feeling I would say that I was straight-up sad that it was over.  After buying my show t-shirt for $32 (still have it), I left thinking that I was of course destined to be a performer on Broadway, regardless of the fact that I'd never taken any sort of professional dance, acting or voice lessons-- I was a triple NON-threat.  That little dream obviously faded, but after that show, I was HOOKED.

Once Brian and I started dating, I became determined to see The Nutcracker here in Boston.  The ballet comes to the Boston Opera House every Christmas, so for at least two of my birthdays, I've convinced him that it's just not Christmastime without seeing the Sugarplum Fairies.



I know that I'm alone in this one, but I would go every single year to see it if I could.  I love getting all dressed up and seeing moms and their little ones there together, decked out in their holiday reds and velvet to see the show.  Babies are a little ways off for me yet, but I vow that if I'm ever blessed with a little girl, seeing The Nutcracker together every Christmas will become our tradition.

Having always loved The Big Apple, I've always ALWAYS loved The Rockettes.  It's just not Thanksgiving unless I see them high kicking away in their heels at the Macy's Parade.  I'm pretty positive I also entertained the idea of becoming a Rockette, especially after being on the dance team in high school.  If I could high kick on a football field for 3 minutes, I could surely do the same on a stage... for an hour.  

I digress.  When The Rockettes Christmas Spectacular toured to Boston last winter, it became my life's goal to see them.  Brian made it happen for me, and it was amazing.  Truly.  The girls are so talented and pretty and enviable LEGS FOR DAYS... but it was TWO hours.  Of kicking.  And tap dancing.  And shuffle-stepping.  



We went for my birthday in early December so it certainly got me into the jazzy Christmas spirit... but I'll likely never, ever see them again.  Two hours of two-tapping is a lot to take in.

Knowing I had struck out with my last two shows being not all that guy-friendly, when In the Heights toured to Boston, I knew that we had to go.  



I gave Brian the heads up that it was indeed a musical, but that there would be dancing and guys fighting and it was based in Harlem (I think), modern day.  We bought tickets, we went... and he LOVED it.  The soundtrack and stage decorations were both phenomenal and the cast was just so sassy-- just a genuinely well done show.

All of this brings me to last night.  I have a running list in my head of Broadway Shows to See, including but not limited to Newsies, The Book of Mormon, The Lion King... and Wicked.

Be still, my Wizard of Oz loving heart, because I can mark the last one off of my list!


Wicked has toured in Boston a few times since I've lived here, but we've just never made it a point to go.  When I found out the show was not only coming back this summer but opening a mere DAY after our anniversary, I knew it was meant. to. be.


After a quick stop for dinner, we settled in for two and a half hours of one of the best performances I have ever seen.  I laughed.  I clapped and cheered.  I teared up.  I gave a standing ovation at the end.  It was so excellently well done, and I would go again tonight if I could.  I can't lie-- Wicked remains on my list of shows to see ON Broadway, but not for the sake of quality.  I can't imagine it being executed any better, there's just something about seeing shows in NYC that make them feel that much more "real."  

Until then, I'll keep loving the fact that I found a guy who'll put on a brave face and sit through musicals with me, secretly loving them as much as I do.



Unofficial disclaimer: All pics, excluding the last three, are from The Google and are NOT mine. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope to one day finally see a show on Broadway. Especially after my American Musical Theatre class this summer.

    ReplyDelete