At least it's only once a year...

How is it already Tuesday?  I don't know if it's the wedding countdown, failing at house hunting, or just the crazy amount of things that I'm trying to get done every day, but there are some mornings where I wake up and have no idea what day it is.  Last Tuesday I had a doctor's appointment and my doctor was trying to think of the name of something, and I laughed and said "Oh, it's okay-- it's such a Monday today!" And she looked at me like I was a little crazy because no... no, it was definitely a Tuesday, not such a Monday.  This week is throwing me for ANOTHER loop because it's already Tuesday, which means I have one full day on Wednesday to get ready for my mom flying in on Thursday, and then Friday I have to work and we're taking my mom out for dinner, and Saturday is my shower here in Boston!  So there's a lot of "When in God's name am I going to get it all done?!" going on.  At least we're coming off of a semi-relaxing weekend...

Saturday was, as expected, a little insane.  I dropped Brian and the boys off at the golf course around 10am on Saturday and went straight to the beach.  There had been big plans in my agenda to get wedding crafts taken care of but, alas, I ditched them for the beach-- always a good idea.  I love love love the beach that I frequent-- how can you possibly not? 

A good beach day just wasn't in my cards for that day.  The parking lot was packed when I pulled in, but I hoped for the best, and lugged my little chair and beach bag to the sand... only to see that it was basically wall-to-wall people.  The only spot that I could find was directly in front of a trash can, with a family and two toddlers to the left, and a threesome of older women to my right who were sipping wine coolers and talking about things that I wish I could un-hear (seriously).  Still trying to make the best of it, I pulled on my old lady sunhat, slathered on my sunscreen, and pulled out my book.  

After about two hours, I threw in the towel-- even for this Texas girl, it was HOT and the beach and I were just not getting along that day, so I packed it up and hit the road.  Back at home in my glorious air-conditioning, I showered, watched This is 40 for the thousandth time, and waited to hear from Brian that they were wrapping up.  Fast forward FIVE HOURS and I decide to go to the golf course and wait, rather than have to make the half hour drive while they stood around. 

As I said before, I've been doing this little chauffeur day for the last several years now, but it never. gets. old. seeing the crew of them post-tournament.  There is nothing sloppier, but I can't help but laugh at them.  I did take pictures, but for the sake of all of them, I can't share-- you probably would not even want to see.  Just picture 32 very drunk grown men acting like children in a parking lot as they have a trophy ceremony and try to gather themselves enough to load up and get home.  It did make me feel much better this year to see so many girls there to drive them home.  My perspective for that entire day is that they can be as drunk and stupid as they would like, as long as they aren't driving.  

I finally rounded up the four riding in our car and took them to Wendy's, per request, for "lots of nuggets and a Frosty," as one of them kept repeating.  All I could think was "They need something to soak up THE ALCOHOL, ALL OF THE ALCOHOL!"  I honest to God wanted to wait in the car so I didn't have to witness their drunken shenanigans in public, but I braved it and followed them inside.  It was then that I witnessed the most impressive drunk ordering I have ever seen, as guy after guy ordered bacon cheeseburgers with extra cheese, "Can you put cheese on those?" fries, nuggets with ranch mixed with sweet and sour sauce for dipping... I could not stop laughing, while I admittedly counted down the seconds for them to finish and I could get them out of the public eye.  It was like their manners had fully reverted back to fifth grade-- I was mortified.

From there we went to someone's house where there was supposedly a fun after party going on.  I guess drinking heavily for 10 hours will take it out of you, because we walked into a living room with six guys sitting on a couch, watching Deep Impact.  We stayed about an hour before I told Brian that I was leaving (I was the only girl and while I know all of the guys, they were a hot mess and I was stone cold sober and wanted to go HOME), and he could round up his friends or I would do it.  I dropped seven boys off at their homes that night, and I can honestly say that I feel like I did my duty.  They could have sat in the trunk for all I cared-- if I could get them home safe, I didn't care if we had to roll them to their front door, at least they weren't in one of the other guys' cars who had zero business being behind a wheel.  We finally made it home around midnight and I fell asleep thinking "Thank God today only happens once a year." 

Sunday I woke up, hit the gym, and picked up coffees while Brian remained dead to the world.  He woke up up when I made breakfast and decided he felt pretty good, but it was that hangover fake-out of feeling invincible upon waking, and then feeling like death once you get moving.  I left to run errands while he huddled in the fetal position on the couch.  And then, I scored the biggest wedding victory that I've yet to come across.  We had just been discussing ordering all of our votive candles and were estimating spending around $150.  While I was out, I stopped into Joann's Fabrics to pick up materials to make our ring bearer pillow and happened to wander down the candle aisle... and did a victory dance.  They had ALL of their candles marked down, and I found 6-packs of filled votives from $5.99 to $1.97, 3 packs of flameless candles from $5.99 to $1.97 (to use in the windows at our reception), and a 12 pack of hurricane votive holders from $4.99 to $1.97.  I CLEANED THEM OUT.  

my candle haul

I went home with 114 filled votives, 6 flameless candles, and 12 votive holders for $40 because on top of the sale, I had a 20% off coupon that applied to my entire purchase, regular and sale items.  I may have danced out of the store I was so happy.  And then I went to Michael's and not only found our baskets for the bathrooms at the reception (marked down 40% off) but also our card basket!  

This little pretty was $24.99, marked 60% off for being spring merchandise, and I had a coupon for 25% off my entire purchase including regular and sale items, so I got the baskets and the card cage... thing for $13-ish total.  I love it-- it's different from a standard card basket/birdcage, and I can use it again in our home after the wedding!  I was a little bummed because they had a cage that had a super cute crown on top, but it opened from the bottom and wouldn't be ideal for keeping cards contained, so the fleur-de-lis it was!  

It was a much-needed weekend of fun and relaxation for Brian, and a fantastic weekend for me to get a few BIG check marks taken care of on my to-do list!  If you're wondering, Brian finally feels human again today.  I kept telling him that his liver isn't what it used to be, and after still feeling like death for most of YESTERDAY, I think he realized that I may be right.

Tomorrow I have lots of fun wedding updates to share, including my Texas bridal shower (finally, right?)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment